Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reflection:Concept of the Political

In class last week I was a member of the group that argued that humanity should not view an alien species as a political “other,” nor would it when an alien-human interaction actually happened. Personally, I do not agree that human politics is either defined by or confined to a “friend-enemy” dynamic. Nor do I believe in defining another entity, whether it be a religious minority or insect-like species, as an “other” no matter how foreign it may be. To demonize, antagonize and to generalize is to not only to limit oneself, but to prevent wondrous relationships. If I were to fall prey to stereotypes and believe everything I have heard about non-Caucasians and non-Americans, I would be friendless and a fraction of the person I am today. If I were even to view people who didn’t necessarily fall into mainstream society, such as my friends in the LGBT community, as “others” I would have deprived myself of life changing friendships. However, by being open-minded I have had interactions that have strengthened not only myself but others. It is good to be wary that some people might try be manipulative and antagonizing, because realistically many people are. However, many people are also altruistic and loving. To me, the risk of being manipulated is worth taking if it creates an opportunity for beneficial cooperation. It would be easy to ostracize the “others,” but in the end if you join a group that follows a “friend-enemy” dynamic, one day you will be enemy. Why do you think Mao, Stalin, and Hitler purged their ranks so many times? Do you think the stereotypical high school clique that maliciously gossips is based in fiction? My advice is to be around those who build you up, not those who bring down “others” and scapegoats. When aliens arrive it is very possible they will be hostile, but attempts to achieve friendship should be made as it is not only the moral choice, but because the fruits of cooperation are exponentially greater than those of atrocious wars and domination.
The question of whether or not humans would actually pursue a path of friendship is another question. Humanity’s history of colonialism, genocide and racism would indicate otherwise. I myself have questioned how far we have advanced in light of Darfur and Rwanda. However, humanity has gained a greater sense of objectivity and enlightenment; otherwise this discussion would not be taking place. The fact also remains that humanity is not uniform in mentality or societal values. Therefore, to say one single human response would occur is improbable. Personally, I would strive for peace… but would not be surprised if a ship hovering over DC was shot down. Such is the human condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment