Friday, April 9, 2010

"Empathy and Violence Have Similar Circuits in the Brain"

Oi, I couldn't let this go unseen by our class. A recent article on ScienceDaily.com reports on a new neural study that shows that, "the brain circuits responsible for empathy are in part the same as those involved with violence." The study suggests that as one gains more empathy for another, the propensity for violence towards that other is reduced. Does this mean that characters like Ender aren't realistically possible? Or perhaps there are more dimensions to our analysis than we initially thought? For me, this reinforces the boundary between a kind of understanding that is simply fact based, and a kind of understanding that's more intimate and value based in nature.

I'll edit this post with any more information I find on the study - it was originally published in Spanish, but I'll try and find an English translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment